Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Beautiful Blacks Fork 2010

My wife usually keeps our blog up to date, in fact I think I have posted once in the two years we have had our blog. However, today I was looking for posts from other Bangerter Family members about Black's Fork and realized that we hadn't posted our pictures yet. So I thought I would take a few minutes to blog about our Blacks Fork adventure 2010.

We went earlier than the rest of the Bangerter family because of my sister and her husband's schedule. By the 'rest of the Bangerter family' I mean the other 100 plus Uncles, Aunts, Cousins, and friends that make the trek to the high Uinta mountains each July. Although we missed seeing everyone, it was very nice to be with my family. Our trip this year was much longer than usual sees as how we had to drive from Albuquerque to get there. We left on Friday afternoon, stayed the night in Grand Junction, CO and arrived Saturday afternoon.

It had been two years since we were there, and it was wonderful to see my 'summer home' again. Bangerters have been camping on the west fork of the Black's Fork river for over 100 years. We met my parents, two of my brothers, and my sister's family there. They had adventures of their own getting there, but after two days and a new fuel pump, they had arrived earlier Saturday Morning and had a nice camp waiting for us when we arrived.

We had sacrament meeting on Sunday morning, and then spent the afternoon hiking to a cabin that my Grandma Bangerter lived in as a little girl. During the summers her father would cut timber in the Uintas and they lived in the small cabin on the Utah Wyoming border. In their free time my great-grandpa Hamblin loved to fish and would take his children to the river. It is that same river that my Grandpa Bangerter would enjoy as a teenager. When he married my Grandma, and took her to his favorite camping spot in the Uintas, they were both shocked and amazed that they had both come to the exact same place. From this improvable coincidence that the Black's Fork camping tradition was born.

.

On Monday we enjoyed our time around camp and an early morning fishing trip up the river. On Tuesday we hiked up river for some fishing. My Dad and I caught tons of fish, at one time we pulled out nearly 10 in a row from the same hole. It was fun to spend the afternoon hiking and fishing with my Dad.

Early Wednesday morning we left on our 15 hour drive back to Albuquerque. It is always a lot of work to get to Blacks Fork, but is always worth it. I love to go for the memories. The memories that I have of this magical place as a youth and the memories that I hope to build with my wife and children. I know that at least 64 other Bangerter grandchildren feel the same way about Black's Fork. I am grateful for parents and grandparents that have made Blacks Fork such a beloved tradition. I plan on working hard to make it so for my family.




1 comment:

Tanya said...

Wow, that looks real close to what I think Heaven will be...very beautiful and sounds like such a fun time. Love the family traditions you guys are starting and love the family you're having!