Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend with the Kauffman Family

May 28th I drove down with my parents and Dal and Whit to Phoenix where we were meeting as a family to have some time together before my parents move. My dad has been convinced for a couple of years that Hatch, Utah has the best burger and fries so we had to stop there for lunch. This is Whit and I showing off our huge burgers! They were good; I was impressed because they offered green chiles on their hamburgers which I most definitely prefer my hamburgers with that yummy chile on now.

Alina loved being out of the car, and was adorable during our lunch. She has so much personality, and it was fun for her to bond with Dal and Whit on this trip

Adam met us in Flagstaff, Arizona where we then switched cars and drove down into the valley with him. Wow, two and a half weeks is way to long to be apart from your husband. I am glad I had the chance to go up, but I don't think I ever want to be apart from Adam for that long if I can help it. His handsome face was such a good sight for my eyes to see after being apart.

This is not the best angle, but this is a rock formation near Lake Powell that my family calls "the three stooges". We have made the drive from Utah to Phoenix countless times growing up and we developed a couple of favorite things along the way. One of the traditions that we had growing up was to use the "damn bathrooms" and fill our water bottles up with the "damn water" at the Damn at Lake Powell. I think this is the only time you will hear my family swear.

This is the "throw up rock". This is near Lake Powell as well. The lighting does not do it justice because the rocks that are coming out of the rock that looks like a mouth is green. Another tradition that our family has on our trip to Arizona is hold our breath across the bridge across Lake Powell over to Page Arizona. My dad would always go as slow as he could so it was hard to do it. It was so much fun to me to do that drive from Utah to Phoenix one more time with my parents. The only thing that would have made it better would be if Adam could have been with us all the way down.

We had a fun time spending time with my siblings and their children in Phoenix. We went swimming, spent time at the parks, the guys went golfing and probably my favorite thing was on Wednesday we went out to eat as siblings and spouses. My parents watched the kids as we went out. It wasn't quite complete because Don & Janey had to go home the day earlier and Taylor was not there, but it was fun to spend time together without the kids. We had never done that before and I loved it!

We walked around the Phoenix temple and Alina of course loved the water. Dallin is great with kids and was fun to watch as he bonded with Alina.


Alina loved the slip and slide at my cousins house. She had a look of pure joy on her face.

The boys and Whitlie playing 500 in the pool. Just for the record I was playing, but you can only pawn your child off on family so long. I love the intense looks on all of their faces; it is just great!

We gathered at my Aunt's house on Sunday after church for a brunch. My Aunt has hats for her grandchildren to play with and of course we had to try them on.

It was fun to watch 3 of my 4 brothers just talk and enjoy being together. We all missed Taylor, but we will see him in a couple of months!

My dad and his sister. I have grown up visiting Phoenix and family, and it was fun to do it again.
The Kauffman grandchildren

On Memorial day we had a BBQ at my cousin's house. The kids had played on a slip and slide which was so fun to watch. After the swimming, the girls put on a fashion show. Alina loved her slip and liked to twirl around and watch it twirl around her. It was a wonderful trip to

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I love Whitley's hat! and I had to blow the picture up to make sure that was Adam in that hilarious hat. What a good sport he is!

Love you