
Two weeks after Grandpa's funeral I was back in Utah, but this time just Alina and I. It was Adam's idea that I should fly up and help my mom pack up and be able to spend some time with my parents before they move to New York City. It was a sacrifice for Adam and I really appreciate it. How do you say goodbye to a house with so many memories? Both Alina and I have started our lives in this house. I am grateful for those 9 months that we lived in my parent's basement, because now Adam shares some of those memories. I could not have picked a better place to grow up.

I have spent so many hours on these porch steps over my almost 25 years of life. Many, many Popsicles, pieces of watermelon, and glasses of orange julius' were consumed while sitting on this porch. I loved watching the beautiful sunsets from our porch, and the lightening storms roll in. Some of my my favorite memories is of my dad waking me up to come watch a storm together. Thanks dad!

The doorway you see is the room that my sister and I shared for many years. The edge of the picture is the corner where the hallway is and where the bathroom is. As you can tell the room is not that far away from the bathroom, but when I was younger I was terrified to go to the bathroom at night. I would wake up my sister, we would get the stick from the window for protection, open the door and through a period of running to back and forth we would get the lights turned on and finally make it to the bathroom. It is fun to look at the distance now and see how short of a distance it really is.

These shelves were always overflowing with books and I loved it! I spent a lot of hours looking over what was on those shelves. I am grateful for parents who encouraged me to read.

My wonderful sister in "our" room. I have so many memories of staying up late talking and giggling over something that really wasn't that funny. I love my sister so much and will always be grateful for her and her example to me. I love you Aub!

I love this view from my backyard. I have spent many hours studying that mountain and hiking it twice. Did you know that there is a crevice on the left side of the mountain that in a certain light has the shadow of the letter L? Did you know that where the two peaks meet there is a row of trees that looks like an army of Indians, soldiers, or whatever bad guy there is depending on what you are pretending? Did you know that there is a rock formation that looks like the cover of a covered wagon? Did you know that there is an arch, but you have to know exactly where it is because you can't see it from the trail? Did you know that what looks like a sand pit near the top is not really a sand pit? I was very disappointed! Did you know that it is a bad idea to hike down the mountain without any food or water because you "don't think it will take that long"? Did you know that it is really fun to hike up part way on a hot spring day up to where the snow is and then play in it? Did you know you can climb to the top of a mountain even when there is not a trail? Oh, the things you learn from living near the base of a beautiful mountain!

This view of my backyard is a classic. For many years we did not have a backyard fence which made it perfect for night games. Instead of being limited to one backyard we had 3 1/2. It was great! I can't even start to tell you the good times that I have had in this backyard.

This tub as come full circle. I remember taking baths with my siblings in this tub and now Alina and Kylie after getting very sandy in the sandbox had to quickly take a bath together. My sister and I used to make our hair stand up with the shampoo and then quickly jump out and look in the mirror and then run back to do a different hairdo. Good times.

The saddest part for me being at my parents house and helping them pack up was to realize that Alina was experiencing her first and last in my parents yard. This had been the first time that it has been warm enough and she is finally old enough to play and explore and now it is gone. I am so glad that I was able to help my parents pack up so I could say goodbye to this wonderful house of memories. 10030 N. Sage Rd. E.
No comments:
Post a Comment