Last summer when we were here on our internship we were introduced to this word, "Sopapilla." We were asked over and over if we had had one. We were confused until we saw one, and we thought, "Oh, you mean a scone?" They looked just like a scone, and I thought they tasted just like the scones that I had had growing up. I thought people in New Mexico just had a funny name for them. Surely I wasn't in the wrong by caling them scones!
We have been corrected and I have been converted to calling them sopapillas. Do you know what you get if you google the word scone? Scones are baking pwd biscuits! Everywhere but Utah and I think Idaho the word scone is used for a baking pwd. biscuit and the words sopapilla or "fry bread" is used for what us native Utahns have called scones. How could this be? If anyone knows the history of this confusion I would love to know. How did we get to call sopapillas, scones?
Well, that was all to say, that I love sopapillas!!! They are so good. They are very similar to what I have known as a scone ,but a little different. A sopapilla is basically tortilla dough fried. We have found an authentic New Mexican restaurant that we love and we took Claire and Michael there when they came back through on their way back home. Adam and Michael had a sopapilla burger, and Claire and I had stuffed sopapillas. The green and red chiles made our noses run and our eyes water, but they were so good!
bathtime for Alina
She is in ready position-she is so close to crawling!
Cousins and matching swimming suits-How cute!
6 comments:
Cute pictures! I grew up in Connecticut, and there, we just called it "fried bread dough". I've never heard sopapilla though, but I guess that's when you use tortilla dough instead of bread dough. It took me a while to figure out that scone was Utahn for fried bread dough. Definitely good stuff though, whatever you call it!
We LOVE sopapillas too!! I have a great recipe for shredded beef stuffed sopapillas, in case you're interested. And sopapillas are still very different from our fried bread "scones" as the centers are so much less bready in a sopapilla. Anyway, I don't know which restaurant you found, but Si Senor in NM is a family favorite!
Lindsey, your Grandma Sanders (Kauffman) used to call fry bread "scones" and I don't know where she got the name. Scones here in AZ are yummy baking powder biscuits. I agree with Braden and Cheri--our sopapillas are more bready and we put anything from beans and cheese to powdered sugar or honey on them. Come to AZ for our state fair and you can taste delicious ones!
I had a very similar experience. Aren't those mexican scone to die for though?!
We're going to miss you guys too. I really felt like we would get along so well. We'll have to keep the frienship going anyway.
Alina is SERIOUSLY the cutest little babes EVER!! What a doll. So I have the great privilege of knowing what realy Mexican food is all the time having my mom-in-law being full Mexican. It's great and the perk is, I get all the yummy food I want, woo hoo for me! How is New Mexico treating you guys??
Utah always does things a little different:-)
Post a Comment