Saturday, August 16, 2008

New Mexico Thunderstorms

This picture was taken just outside of our apartment. We had a small river roaring down our sidewalk. Just imagine the roads that day-Scary!!

So, all growing up, I have always said that I love thunderstorms. My parent's home in Cedar Hills has a great view of thunderstorms rolling in. I have many memories watching the lightning from my front porch. My dad even used to wake me up in the middle of the night to watch the lightning together. I have always loved playing in the water that is rushing in the gutters during a thunderstorm, and never felt really threatened by being outside during a storm.

O.k. Thunderstorms are a different story here in Albuquerque. Albuquerque does not get much water all year except for Monsoon season which is approx. July and August. During Monsoon season, a thunderstorm rolls almost every afternoon. Some of the storms are small, but the strong ones are worth noting. (As I write this, it is currently raining and I can hear the thunder rolling in.) The first couple of storms that Adam and I experienced we drove around looking for the Arroyo's (the natural canals that form when it rains) to fill up. We were excited for the storms. Two weeks ago, it was raining really hard, and I had to go driving just up the street to a party that a friend in the ward was hosting. O my goodness! I didn't have to drive very far, but I was scared. The water fills the streets, and it is like you are driving through a river everywhere you go.

The lightning seems closer to the ground here in Albuquerque. The night the Olympics started, Adam and I went out on our balcony to watch the rain and listen to the thunder. There was a clap of thunder that was so loud and so close, that both Adam and I grabbed each other in surprise. I have grabbed anyone like that out of instinct. So, although I still love to watch lightning and play in the rain, I think for now I will stay indoors during an Albuquerque thunderstorm unlike a Utah thunderstorm.

6 comments:

Kendra H said...

The monsoon season is different if you've never experienced one before. I'm sure ALBQ is alot like Arizona and I love those! I thought I would miss them moving to the midwest, but Illinois has had some storms that rival AZ!

Jill said...

I always love a good thunderstormit! It's alot different in washinton too...it doesn't really down pour like that, it's just kind of drizzly all day long. I love it!

Kristy said...

Oh! That is how tennessee was! I have a dent in my car to prove it!!! I am excited for you to be home.

Jake, Megan, Ryder, Emma and Tessa said...

That looks pretty amazing! I always like cummner rainstorms! and you are definitly getting a cooler one than just the couple sprinkles we've had here!! are you back in utah yet? we'll have to get toggether sometime!!

Jake, Megan, Ryder, Emma and Tessa said...

SUMMER rainstorm!! (sorry!)

Kristy said...

Wahoo!!! you're in your third trimester!!!!